Information and technology literacy instruction is an essential component of a school library information and technology (LIT) program that helps ensure that the students of Washington State are effective users and producers of information and ideas:
- Leads information literacy instruction including evaluation and analysis of the credibility, relevance and currency of information
- Coaches instructional staff in support of curriculum, information technology and information management
- Teaches students to be critical consumers and producers of information
- Teaches students and staff to use emerging learning technologies for school and lifelong learning
- Teaches students to be safe, ethical and responsible digital citizens
The scope and mix of these functions will depend on the program priorities and goals of each local school district and school building.